----- Original Message -----
±H¥óªÌ: Anuerin G. Diaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > I have been looking in the archives for the answer to the first question
> > below, but so far, I haven't found the solution. I am sure that the
answer
> > is simple. Do you know it?
> >
> > I dual boot win98 + Mandrake 8.1
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1- How can I use the boot disk to boot into the console mode rather than
the
> > graphical login?

This is the first and most important question for now...

>    does this mean that you can now enter your system?

precisely not. I can't. the graphical login is a hindrance right now because
it won't start any window manager and it won't allow me to reboot under
console mode (there was such an option with 8.0 but apparently, it's gone
under 8.1)

If I can't find a way to boot into linux, the only other solution will be
for me to reinstall.
I could do that. It'll take only time. But I'd rather use the opportunity to
learn new skills.

> > 2- Where can I then see the logs of the booting sequences.

>     i vaguely remember that its in a file named dmesg (somewhere in /var)
and
> that you can display it by invoking dmesg.

Thanks, I'll look at that once I can boot.

>    does this mean that you can now enter your system?
> as for the chinese stuff,
> somebody (look for iain if im not mistaken) in the sylpheed
> [sylpheed.good-day.net] mailing list (he works in hongkong or somewhere
near)
> who has written an informative guide (albeit a work in progress) about how
he
> did configure his linux system to display chinese characters. I was hoping
that
> I could apply it to display japanese characters but nothing so far.

Chinese is 80% ok...
Last time I could boot Linux, it displayed chinese quite properly (even
though the font is hard to read). Chinese support has actually improved
between 8.0 and 8.1. The xcin chinese input program seems at last to work
properly... but it's the 20% missing that prevent me from doing any job in
chinese under Linux... like when I input chinese in Kmail, it displays
trash... that's why I still use Outlook Express! :-(

To come back to my primary question, I'll look a bit more around and in the
howtos online, but if I don't find the answer and if nobody is able to help
me here, then I'll do a clean install once more.

Thanks anyway,
:-)

Anguo