On Saturday 24 November 2001 14:01, Ed Tharp wrote:
> actully I seem to remember something about a scsi-ide drivre (as needed to
> burn cd) can not play music, something about the scsi emulation... I could
> prolly remember if I had not tried to adjust he acid level in my
> battery-brain back durring 'Nam <grin> but  I bet if you search the mail
> list archives you could find some info about that, maybe from Civilme.

I don't think so Ed. I just tried it out with my cdwriter and I can play
audio CD's  OK
(When I say I can play them. I did not go so far as to open the case and move
the audio cable, but I can eject them, and when I press the play button it
looks as if it plays, and the CD light comes on)

All I had to do was make my symlink between /dev/scd0 and /dev/cdrom
(That's what I said to do yesterday, but not in my last mail)

Now Steve your /dev directory probably looks different to mine because I am
not using the devfs system which automatically sets up the /dev directory on
boot. If you are using devfs you will not have a /dev/scd0 entry.
Instead you will have (If I can remember correctly)
/dev/scsi/device/lune/target   blah blah blah
You should make your symlink between /dev/cdrom and the device at the end of
that scsi chain.

The reason I am not using devfs is because my CDwriter will not work with
devfs enabled.
Have you tested your CD writer yet?
To test it,  as root type 'cdrecord -scanbus'
If it discovers the SCSI address ok then you do not have to disable devfs
If it comes back with an error message you need to disable devfs.

To disable devfs edit the file /etc/lilo.conf

where it says "devfs=mount" change that to "nomount"

Then rerun lilo with the command as root /sbin/lilo
(check there are no error messages, or else you will not be able to reboot)

Reboot.  Now the structure of your /dev directory will be different, and
there will be a device called /dev/scd0
There will also be hundreds of other entries for non existent devices.
Now check you can mount data CD's, test cdrecord, and try audio CD's

Derek