Did you see the mail I sent you yesterday?
Essentially I have configured my own Cdwriter to play audio discs. You have
to make a symlink berween /dev/cdrom and /dev/scd0
That is if devfs is disabled. If devfs is enabled then you will not have a
/dev/scd0. Instead you will have a  /dev/scsi directory and at the end of the
chain of directories will be a device. You have to symlink between there and
/dev/cdrom   (I cannot tell you the exact name because I have devfs disabled
and I do not remember what it is called)

The reason I have devfs disabled is because my cd writer will not record with
it enabled. You can test if you also have a problem by typing as root
cdrecord -scanbus
If it finds your CD writer you are ok. If not you need to disable devfs by
editing /etc/lilo.conf and changing "devfs=mount" to "devfs=nomount"
then run lilo with /sbin/lilo and reboot.

Then look at the changes in the /dev directory/

Derek