On Saturday 24 November 2001 18:16, D. Lee Wiggers wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a lonely ML8.1 box in a dhcp network (almost) with 3 family
> Windows98 boxes.
>
> I have configured Samba through SWAT but probably for a direct connection
> to another box.
>
> I can ping all from all.
>
> Shares are set to "homes"
>
> When I try to access ml box files, I get and error "\\Tux1 is not
> accessable. The specified conputer did not receive your request.  Try again
> later."

do you see your linux box in 'network neighbourhood'  ?

Can you see your windows network from the linux box?
(I always recommend komba2 for this function. It is on your CD's)
Or more simply just type in the URL line of konqueror
smb://windows_ipaddress   or smb://windowscomputer_name_in_hosts_table

If you open SWAT. In the globals section do you have "Encrypt Passwords"=yes
?
and have you selected 'share' or 'user' security ?