Hi

I've Been having a great time getting my Linux machine to play DVD's
with the Xine player and all has been going well until I wanted to play
an encrypted DVD. I have been able to get a copy of Xine that is
supposed to play them but the documentation says that i need to have
write access to the dvd drive device in order to play them.

I am using mandrake 8.1 which uses devfsd and have been able to get it
to load a link by adding the lines:
#added 25/11/01 for dvd player

LOOKUP          ^dvd$   CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink
./ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd
dvd $devpath

REGISTER        ^./dvd$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink
./ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd dvd

#UNREGISTER     ^./dvd$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink dvd

but have been un able to modify the permissions with the following line:
REGISTER     ^./dvd       PERMISSIONS   root.dvdusers   770

I have already created a new group dvdusers and intend to allow the
users to be in this group.

the main documentation that I have been using is man pages devfsd and
devfsd.conf. If anyone is aware of other docs I'd be happy to read them,
and If some one is successful in getting the encrypted DVD's to play on
MDK 8.1 I'd like to here how the did it.

I have included my devfsd.conf file below for comment

Regards Darrin Ritter

# Sample /etc/devfsd.conf configuration file.
# Richard Gooch  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         3-JUL-2000
#
# Changes for Mandrake Linux:
#
# Thierry Vignaud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
#       - autoload of modules on inode lookup
#       - auto{load,save} of permissions in /var/lib/dev-state/
#       - add an example of how to force default
#       - more ALSA stuff
#       - prevent devfsd to auto{save,load} permissions & ownerships
#         on Unix98 ptys (/dev/pts)
#       - handle CD burners too
#       - call dynamic scripts on device creation/removal

#
# Enable full compatibility mode for old device names. You may comment
these
# out if you don't use the old device names. Make sure you know what
you're
# doing!
REGISTER        .*              MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      .*              RMOLDCOMPAT

# You may comment out the above and uncomment the following if you've
# configured your system to use the original "new" devfs names or the
really
# new names
#REGISTER       vc/.*           MKOLDCOMPAT
#UNREGISTER     vc/.*           RMOLDCOMPAT
#REGISTER       pty/.*          MKOLDCOMPAT
#UNREGISTER     pty/.*          RMOLDCOMPAT
#REGISTER       misc            MKOLDCOMPAT
#UNREGISTER     misc            RMOLDCOMPAT

# You may comment these out if you don't use the original "new" names
REGISTER        .*              MKNEWCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      .*              RMNEWCOMPAT

# Enable module autoloading. You may comment this out if you don't use
# autoloading
LOOKUP          .*              MODLOAD

#
# Uncomment this if you want permissions to be saved and restored
# Do not do this for pseudo-terminal devices
REGISTER        ^pt[sy]/.*      IGNORE
CHANGE          ^pt[sy]/.*      IGNORE
CREATE          ^pt[sy]/.*      IGNORE
CHANGE          .*              COPY    $devpath /lib/dev-state/$devname
CREATE          .*              COPY    $devpath /lib/dev-state/$devname
DELETE          .*              CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink
/lib/dev-state/$devname
UNREGISTER      .*              CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink
/lib/dev-state/$devname

#
# Uncomment this if you want the old /dev/cdrom symlink
# (e.g. those specifying CD-ROM type, mouse port, modem port etc)
#
LOOKUP          ^cdrom$         CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink cdroms/cdrom0
$devpath
REGISTER        ^cdroms/cdrom0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink cdroms/cdrom0
cdrom
UNREGISTER      ^cdroms/cdrom0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink cdrom

#added 25/11/01 for dvd player

LOOKUP          ^dvd$   CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink
./ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd
dvd $devpath

REGISTER        ^./dvd$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink
./ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd dvd
REGISTER     ^./dvd       PERMISSIONS   root.dvdusers   770
#UNREGISTER     ^./dvd$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink dvd

REGISTER        ^v4l/video0$    CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink v4l/video0
video
UNREGISTER      ^v4l/video0$    CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink video

# ALSA stuff
LOOKUP          snd             MODLOAD ACTION snd
REGISTER        sound/.*        EXECUTE /sbin/pam_console_apply
REGISTER        snd/.*          EXECUTE /sbin/pam_console_apply

# Add Link for dsp & dsp1
REGISTER        ^sound/dsp0$    CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink sound/dsp0 dsp
UNREGISTER      ^sound/dsp0$    CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink dsp

# Manage USB mouse
REGISTER        ^input/mouse0$  CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink input/mouse0
usbmouse
UNREGISTER      ^input/mouse0$  CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink usbmouse

# dynamic desktop and co

#REGISTER       .*/part.*       EXECUTE /etc/dynamic/scripts/part.script
add
$devpath
#UNREGISTER     .*/part.*       EXECUTE /etc/dynamic/scripts/part.script
del
$devpath

REGISTER        v4l/video.*     EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/webcam.script add
$devpath
UNREGISTER      v4l/video.*     EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/webcam.script del
$devpath

REGISTER        usb/scanner.*   EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/scanner.script add
$devpath
UNREGISTER      usb/scanner.*   EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/scanner.script del
$devpath

REGISTER        usb/rio500      EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/rio500.script add
$devpath
UNREGISTER      usb/rio500      EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/rio500.script del
$devpath

REGISTER        usb/tts/[13579] EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/visor.script add
$devpath
UNREGISTER      usb/tts/[13579] EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/visor.script del
$devpath

REGISTER        \(usb/\)\?\(lp\|printer\).*     EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/lp.script add $devpath
UNREGISTER      \(usb/\)\?\(lp\|printer\).*     EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/lp.script del $devpath

# devfsd.conf ends here