On Monday 26 November 2001 03:26 am, robin wrote:
> civileme wrote:
> >Do NOT use autofs.  Make yourself some regular desktop icons for
> > CD and floppy and click to mount, right-click to unmount or
> > eject.  We shipped with supermount disabled by default for a
> > reason.  Despite our rewrite, the thing doesn't wprk as it should
> > with kernel 2.4 versions.  This is a continuation of problems
> > encountered in 8.0 only more severe.
>
> Personally I wouldn't mind doing this - I remember the days before
> automounting anyway.  However, this box is used by Windows users,
> and I don't want to have to go running every time they say "Hey,
> there's something wrong with my floppy disk!"  Guess I'll have to
> cross my fingers and go for supermount.
>
> Robin

   Update to a Mandrake 2.4.13 kernel, upgrade initscripts and
iptables (I used the cooker src.rpms), 'supermount -i enable',
'mount -a'

  I've got:  ML8.1, kernel-2.4.13-2mdk (ready made, 'rpm -ivh'),
initscripts-6.27-22mdk, iptables-1.2.4-1mdk and supermount works
flawlessly. I did have to edit fstab's floppy line and change fs to
auto, from vfat,. Xmms can load audio CD's with my CDrom, but not
with my CD-RW. NBD, I don't use the CD-RW as a CDrom anyhow (bad idea
anyway). So now either ext2 or vfat floppy's work fine, CD's are
supermounted and accessible from either the CL or with file managers
(eg, konqueror). No problems with ejecting when done. No need for
desktop icons (I always delete 'em all right after an install, since
they seem ridiculous to me ;)

   If you use a 2.4.13-11mdk or later kernel you'll also need to
upgrade glibc to the latest cooker if you want to install
source/headers, as kernel headers are now supplied with glibc (ie, no
more kernel-headers rpms).

--
      Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA