> > I did it this time. I couldn't log in this morning at all. Rec. the msg:
> > exited with non-zero status
> > Please contact your system administrator.
>
> Yeah, did you ring yourself up? :)

Yea. And therein lies the problem. The sys admin, aka I, didn't know
what I was doing. It was when I found reference to the 'df' in the
archives that I knew to look. At the time I was getting the error msg,
it was at 100%. The only way I could get anywhere was to go thru
failsafe and login as root in text mode. And yes, I was in a panic. What
I found was 8 files in /var/log, which when deleted, took me from 100%
to 84%. I have no idea what they were or why they were there.

> Looking briefly at your 'df' report, there *should* be enough space so
> that the message should not appear - I don't think that the message in
> itself is space related. Your / is at 84% which is all right; if it was
> at 100% I'd panic. Were you able to login as root and not as a user? The
> system does leave some space reserved as root just for cases like this.
>
> > file and not being able to access DrakConf and I can email again so they
> > were all related afterall.
>
> If you have a rather large inbox you need space in order to store a
> backup copy of it, depending on what mail reader you use. That may not
> be of issue here but it's something I run up against from time to time when
> I use 'elm'.

> A general tip - you can use 'du' on parts of your / filesystem to find out
> where the space is being used, and then attempt to figure out what to get
> rid of.
> > And what else is safe to delete to free up space?
>
> the system usually takes care of that for you - although in one recent
> instance, when I was installing a corrupt copy of StarOffice 6, my
> /var partition filled all the way up because of a runaway logging process :(.

StarOffice may be what created this problem. Those 8 log files were
listed as one of the users. He only uses LM when he needs to write a
report or something, and that's pretty limited.

> How did yuo install Mandrake? Did you select everything, or did you use a
> smaller subset of 'everything'? If you did 'everything' there are a few
> things you can remove safely, such as documentation, since you can
> read the docs on the CDs. Back when I was running redhat, I found loads
> of different Howto's and other documents in different languages, and in
> different formats (dvi, ps, html, etc.) and that was a waste of disk
> resources. I managed to free up over 60 megs of stuff by getting rid of
> that stuff.

Why did you switch from redhat? Just curious.

Everything is installed but I didn't install it. When I bought this
puter, I asked them to install Linux and he recommended LM. Maybe if I
would have done it myself, I'd know more but my line of thinking was if
I got frustrated with the installation process, I'd scrap the whole
thing but if I had a working system to cut my teeth on.....
It takes longer to learn but I can learn a little at a time and not be
so overwhelmed. And you wouldn't believe the number of people who tried
to talk me out of trying linux. It's not without headaches and scary
moments but at least it can be fixed. I didn't know just how much I
hated windoze. The rebooting and rebooting and rebooting. And when
something messed up you hoped a reboot would fix it. It's funny tho, I
didn't know I could get so excited about a computer.

It's great having somewhere to get info and tap all these brains. Maybe
one of these days someone can tap my brain.

Thanks

Lori