scenario/pre-requisites:
-------------------
1) windows username = myWinUser, password = 12345

linux/samba steps:
---------------
1) create a linux user:
         > useradd myLinuxUser

2) open up the /etc/samba/smbusers file and add the below line:
         myLinuxUser = myWinUser
         * note: myWinUser is really the name of your samba user; this will
map your samba/win user to a linux user

3) go to kmenu/configuration/networking/samba (this starts swat)

4) create a password for the myWinUser (samba user)
         -click on "passwords" button
         -for username, type "myWinUser"
         -for "password", enter "12345" (the same password that myWinUser uses on
windows)
         -click "add new user button"

i believe that this should work.

also try posting your samba questions to the samba mailing list: