On Friday 07 December 2001 03:27 pm, Harm Bathoorn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just to share my experiences. I acquired a Pentium4 chipset and ditto
> motherboard (Intel D845WN). To boot I received a lovely present:
> a Hercules prophet 4000XT (64mb) video card.---- Sheer horror! The whole
> lot put together.
>
> The motherboard has a (not too helpful) cd-ROM with it. It (of course)
> contains m$ drivers, but not the right ones...well done, wintel!:(
>
> Mdk8.1 installed reasonably well, considering it didn't recognize any of
> the chipsets........ but the Hercules AGP card (with Kyroschips) was/is a
> killer. I can handle a gui at 16 bits...That's it!!...:(
> And frankly that's the only (major) hassle I haven't been able to deal
> with, as of yet.

Kyros has been going out of its way to be uncooperative for drivers, and if
their corporate attitude continues through the passage of UCITA, then even
reverse-engineering drivers will not be possible, because it will be illegal.

But right now, it appears if you want gaming performance in linux, look
elsewhere.

> The integrated soundcard works under linux excepting trouble with shared
> IRQ's due to the extra USB ports. After disabling the USB ports (I only
> need one, I've got an external USB-hub) my shutdown problems were over--the
> shutdown procedure hung itself over shutting down USB ports:( Which made me
> change over to ext3 -- and I like it!:)
> I got the whole lot going in a reasonable way, as this mail proves:)
> BUT there's plenty more to be done afore it meets my expectations, it
> wasn't all as cheap as it sounds. Wintel products don't come for free.....!
>
> SO....I thought: Why not install Winblow$ and see what I'm missing?
> Looked up my ol' 98 OEM cd-ROM and away she was.......
> Installing the (not all too correct ) drivers from the Intel cd-ROM did the
> job, then the cd-ROM that came with the Hercules card..OK! (not terrific
> but OK!)
> But, but...NO Sound:( and still IRQ problems of course.
>
> I swear: I will never purchase anything from Intel again if there's an AMD
> option available!!
> And that's putting it mildly! Two days ago I would have pounced on- and
> gladly assaulted anyone connected in anyway to Intel.
>
> Time heals all wounds! And if it doesn't, some good soul will have written
> a linux driver (which I couldn't) somewhere to releave my woe's:)
> That's why I love this OS and the people along with it!:) -- HOPE! --
>
> Good hunting,
> Harm Bathoorn.

Good luck,

Civileme