On Saturday 08 December 2001 01:57, you wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just to share my experiences. I acquired a Pentium4 chipset and ditto
> > motherboard (Intel D845WN). To boot I received a lovely present:
> > a Hercules prophet 4000XT (64mb) video card.---- Sheer horror! The whole
> > lot put together.
> >
> > The motherboard has a (not too helpful) cd-ROM with it. It (of course)
> > contains m$ drivers, but not the right ones...well done, wintel!:(
> >
> > Mdk8.1 installed reasonably well, considering it didn't recognize any of
> > the chipsets........ but the Hercules AGP card (with Kyroschips) was/is a
> > killer. I can handle a gui at 16 bits...That's it!!...:(
> > And frankly that's the only (major) hassle I haven't been able to deal
> > with, as of yet.
>
> Kyros has been going out of its way to be uncooperative for drivers, and if
> their corporate attitude continues through the passage of UCITA, then even
> reverse-engineering drivers will not be possible, because it will be
> illegal.
>
> But right now, it appears if you want gaming performance in linux, look
> elsewhere.

Right!!! That's clear enough.

Now this card was bought brand new, it's been in my PC i.e. it's unpacked.
I would definitely like to bring this 'thing' back with some arguments that
hopefully would make a diff if more were to do so(and if not at least make
the shop think twice when acquiring non-linux gadgets).

Any helpfull thoughts?

T.i.a,

Harm Bathoorn