Hi,
    I have decided to do a re-install since my kernel mishap.
    I can get into my existing linux installation with the installation cd
#1 and 'rescue'. Once at a command prompt, I would like to copy the entire
/home/bill directory to /mnt/windows and then use it to re-establish my data
after a fresh install.
    When I try a cp /home/bill /mnt/windows I continue to get a 'omitting
directory' message and only files in the root of the directory are copied.
Is there a way that I can copy the entire directory and maintain the
directory structure?

    Also, I tried to do a cp --help but the messages scrolled off the top of
the screen....what is the command to halt information a page at a time?

Thanks to all for helping,
Bill W.