-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Stojs
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2001 5:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] filesharing with windows (samba)

Now I have set up a samba server but there are still some problems.

When I click home directory I get a network icon in the left field.
Under that is ftp archive, local network and web sites. I guess my
windows machine should show up under local network. But what I get there
is just "could not connect to host localhost". Am I looking in the wrong
place or is it a configuration problem?

---

You are using Konqueror to browse your network.

In turn Konqueror relies upon three things being set up properly,

1) Samba itself
2) Lisa/Reslisa
3) You user logins in the K-Control panel

Komba is easier to use.

---

>From the windows side I can find the linux machine and read/write in the
samba-public folder.The problem is that I can not write in samba-public
folder from within linux.

---

Samba "folders" are merely pointers to real Linux folders you have set
up.

It sounds like you have not set any up yet!

---

How do I share another folder?

---

By adding a new entry starting with

[sharename]

In /etc/samba/smb.conf.

---

And is it possible to get read/write access to the samba-public folder?

---

You already have access to everything in Linux. Samba does NOT have it's
own folders hidden somewhere.

Rather you can have a share called [public] which points to a directory
somewhere within your Linux machine's hard drive.

Where this is, is up to you to decide.

-JMS