SSH, by default, checks many different routes to login:

1.  Checks for a hosts.equiv, shosts.equiv, .rhosts, or .shosts and
verifies that the username matches on both ends, allowing the user
immediate access
2.  Checks for a public / private key pair, at which point it will ask for
the passphrase for the public / private key pair, if there is one.
3.  Finally, it will allow the user to attempt a login via user / password
authentication.

In all 3 cases, the information stream between the client and the server is
encrypted.

For more detailed info, take a look at the manpage(s) for ssh.

FYI, the config files are typically located under /etc/ssh.

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978