-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Brian Parish
Sent: Tuesday, 11 December 2001 8:08 AM
To: newbie
Subject: [newbie] General firewall getting started type questions

OK, time to get serious about this frewall stuff!

I installed 8.1 with the server defaults.  It seems that this has resulted
in
some kind of firewall, because when I turned on internet connection sharing
it warned me that a firewall was in place and that I might have to do some
manual tweaking.

>From the traffic on this list it seems that Bastille would be a reasonable
choice and that there are enough interactive tools there to get started
without requiring guru status, so the questions are:

What did Mandrake install by default?

How do I find out?

Do I need to turn that off before confusing things with a Bastille install?

Is there a standard "OK this is just a home LAN with a ppp dialup, so baton
down the hatches, but don't stop me accessing the web and getting mail"
default that I can start with?

What questions haven't I asked that are absolutely essential and so bloody
obvious that I should have just known about if only I'd read the manual for
whatever it is I don't know whether I have? ;-)

thanks as always!

Brian

--
Brian Parish
Click Now Consulting

This e-mail was produced in a Microsoft free environment and
can be expected to be free of viruses.  Even so, please be
cautious in dealing with attachments.