Hi again Dexter, thanks for giving this so much thought :-)

I'm afraid your suggestion does not give me what I want. I don't want to
limit access to files in the share, I want the whole share to not appear at
all for those logins who don't have access to it. Here's an example, which
should make it more obvious. Suppose I have a share called
[letters_from_girlfriends] (I don't, but for the example, say I do). It
isn't enough just to have my wife not to have access to it, I'd rather she
didn't even see the share name at all. Got it?

I could do this:-
valid users = @parents
browseable = @parents
it would work. The browseable flag would be a function of the current
login. Unfortunately, browseable is a boolean, and doesn't take a user or
group name as an argument, and therefore is either always true or always
false, irrespective of who is logged in.

julian.