> Mick wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> A dual boot system. I was trying repair an earlier problem, and of
> course made it even worse. Now Lilo will not boot up. It gets to LI
> and just sits there blinking. How do I re-install Lilo so as to access
> the system again. I have tried booting into the boot cd and typing
> 'rescue', I can then get to a prompt. After looking at an article
> about basic Unix commands I used 'ls' to see my directories. Whoopee,
> I can see then 'til I'm blue in the face. I swear I am going to take a
> course in basic Linux commands after I get through this!
> I did also try to reinstall the whole kit and kiboodle, but each time
> I try, it gets as far as installing packages and then just quits, with
> two minutes to go....! The activity lights on the cdrom drive and HD
> just die. I've tried waiting for ages! Nothing! I tried using the
> Plextor burner as a boot device and to load the OS from but with the
> same result.
> Here are some tech details that may help.
> Any help will be gratefully appreciated, as I'm kinda' dead in the
> water here. (Posting from the wifes machine here, sshhh...)
> Mick
>
> AMD Athlon 1Ghz
> 512 ram
> Plextor CD Burner
> 52X ATAPI CDROM
> Floppy
> NVIDIA  RIVA TNT2 M64
> LM 8.1

Well Mick, as far as I can see, you are almost back at point zero ?

You have "windows" on the box ? - If I were in your place I'd start all
over again :

1. Boot into "windows" (You have a rescue-floppy for that, eh ?)
2. When "windows" comes up, go to a MS-DOS prompt
3. Issue the command : FDISK /MBR
4. Issue the command :exit
5. Reboot (this time "windows" will reappear by itself, without
assistance from lilo)
6. Again, go to a MS-DOS prompt and run FDISK
7. Be VERY careful now : delete every partition exept
"Windows"-partitions (FAT, FAT32, NTFS etc.)
8. Re-install linux (do not update) and remember to create a
"linux-boot-floppy".

With your up-to-date hardware, a clean install of linux should be a
matter of about 20 minutes !

Regards

Kaj Haulrich