to locate a file on your computer, there are a few good utilities, the one I
use in KDE is found at K(menu bar bottom left corner, like "start" in M$
prod.) > Applications > file tools > find files.
dmesg is the log of the boot up messages that you see if you use a text boot
up. /var/log/dmseg is mine, you will need to be root to access it.

It appears to me that you are "piggybacking" on someone else's problem, as
the original I was answering had to do with the desktop of the Mandrake
Machine, and slow (10 to fifteen seconds) to load a locally stored file. if
the problem you are having is with multiple computers connected to a single
dial up Internet connection, and it seems the graphics load quicker after a
while and you are running Squid, that is "normal" as the cache in Squid is
filling with the graphics that repeat and are now stored local. are we
referring to a local (on that machine) stored files or files over the net?

if your network is "of the 192.168.0.1 variety" does that mena the computer
that is connected to the dial up the dhcp server?