Whether it is SUSE or RH or Mandrake, When you remove an RPM, dependencies
checking is a must. Otherwise some other programs may not work. It is not
specific to a distro.
Some rpms may not have dependencies. Remove the same rpm in any distro and
see.
On Monday 17 December 2001 22:13, David McGlone wrote:
> well same thing happened to me, I lost all my backed up data that was on 3
> seperate ext2 partitions and 3 seperate partitions that I had windows
> installs on (mostly games) and I never told mandrakes partition tool to
> even touch them partitions. when I booted after my first install which I
> installed over a SuSE install I got a kernel panic, I wondered why such a
> thing happened, so I put the mandrake disk back in and when I got to the
> partitioning tool, it showed no partitions at all, they were all gone, it
> wiped out virtually everything except hda1.
>
> Well I proceeded to partition and finally install mandrake, I started to
> use it and it seemed to be a nice OS until the time came that I wanted to
> remove some rpm's and install different ones, and all I got was dependency
> problems left and right. I tried and tried every way I know, but it seems
> that when I wanted to remove 1 RPM from Mandrake, it wanted to remove the
> whole Operating System.
>
> At this point, I totally gave up, stuck my SuSE install Disk in and went
> back to SuSE.
>
> The way I see all this is, with Mandrake, you don't have much freedom. If I
> cannot remove an rpm and install the .tar file instead, then I think
> Mandrake is heading to Redmond.
>
> just my $.02
>
> David M.
> AIM: dmclgone27
> ICQ: 96210352
>
> On Monday 17 December 2001 09:16 am, you wrote:
> > Just to offer a contrasting and virtually worthless opinion here ...
> > I'm not sure about the "slicker install" or "souped up". I lost Windows
> > installs on two of my machines (Win98 and Win2000) because Mandrake 8.1's
> > installer trashed my partition tables without giving me a way out, so I
> > went back to Red Hat 7.2 and had a much better install experience.
> > I use System Commander 7 as a boot manager, but Mandrake's installer
> > wouldn't support writing the boot code on the Linux boot partition for
> > another boot manager to "pick up", it absolutely insisted on writing it's
> > boot block to the MBR, which is not polite, and more to the point, is not
> > compatible with System Commander.
> >
> > I'll try Mandrake again this week, because many people have a very high
> > opinion (I'm still subscribed to this list, obviously).
> >
> > If someone does know how to instruct Mandrake's installer to put it's
> > boot block on /boot (folks seem to call this a "superblock", apparently),
> > please tell me - I'd really like to give Mandrake a run - but please
> > don't tell me to trash System Commander: I've paid for it, I like it, and
> > it's friendly to my family users, who don't want to have to learn
> > anything else :-)

L.V.Gandhi
203, Soundaryalahari Apartments, Lawsons Bay colony, Visakhapatnam, 530017
MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA
[EMAIL PROTECTED],  [EMAIL PROTECTED] linux user No.205042