On Monday 17 December 2001 08:45 pm, FemmeFatale wrote:
> Hopefully my last one too :)
>
> I have Mandrake 8.0.  I bought it being a newbie not knowing how to use
> ISO files & didn't feel like d/ling it.  I've since d/led 8.1 but want
> to practice on 8.0 for a bit first
>
> So my question is I can use Licq as Root.  I have attempted to change
> the permissions on Licq (which file is the *.exe, so to speak!?)...and
> well it just won't "stick"...
>
> That is i go to start Licq as a normal user, it won't do it again...by
> default on install..fresh install of 8.0 Man, Licq will only work for
> Root!?
>
> Gah!!!!!  Help???
>
> Thx, Femme

Well you could check cooker to see if there is a newer version of licq.  This
problem is foreign to me and I used licq quite a lot with 8.0, always as a
user.  Could it be that you only have the root user set up with Licq?

In your home directory, there should be a file beginning with . called .licq
If you ran licq from a terminal first time and you were su'ed to root, then
that might have the wrong ownerships.  Start up as root one more time and
copy down the account number or UIN, then delete .licq in /root and in
/home/username/ and log in as a normal user and from a terminal try licq...
It should set up with no problems.

If you still have trouble, email me off list and I will work with you.  This
has to be an unusual situation and I would like to know more.

Civileme
QA team