On Tuesday 18 December 2001 05:38 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:

> Subject: For newbie: Resizing partitions
> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:12:47 -0600
> From: Warren Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Dennis Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Dennis: I'd appreciate if if you could forward this to the newbie list for
> me. Thanks!
>
> ------------------------
>
> On one of my boxes I've run out of room on the / partition but have lots of
> room on the /home partition. Is there a way to resize my partitions so as
> to put that free space where I need it? I'm using ext2.

Look here:

http://linux.msede.com/ext2/

The ext2resize facility is now combined with ext2end which expands live
filesystems.

You need temporary storage so you can cafely copy away the one you will
shrink (cause it may shrink from the "wrong" end) then you can use ext2end to
expand / without dismounting (which you cannot do anyway unless you are
booting off a rescue disk, which won't have the ext2 resize facility).

Yes, folks, you really cannot umount / unless you use the chroot command in
which case it is moot, since you cannot then access the original / any longer.

ext2resize is on the 8.1 CDs though it is still a use at own risk category.

Civileme