On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 11:17, Kelly McCormick wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response civil!
>

> > Nonstop, eh?
> >

> Err, ok, I guess I meant "exclusively" although the system does get a LOT of
> usage, I do sleep once in a while! ;)
>

> > I bet you slowly toasted the on-board electrolytic capacitors so that they
> > dried out.  Try  a bigger case fan to keep it a little cooler inside.
> >

> I'm sure this couldn't hurt, but the marathon Quake3 sessions that I used to
> put this box through under windoze never seemed to cause a problem. Since
> replacing the first MB the heaviest workout this thing has seen is running
> mozilla, and windoze98 before I installed Mandrake.
>
> > Of course memtest-x86.bin is on the mandrake CD under images/ and you can
> dd
> > it or rawrite it to floppy and maybe it will boot and test your memory
> just
> > to be safe.
> >

> Bootup never makes it to accessing the floppy, not an option.
>
> > What are the dead symptoms?  Are fans running or nothing at all?  If
> nothing
> > at all, it can be a shorted cap or other short on the mobo or the power
> > supply.  If fans run, look for a dead video card or processor or a bad
> cap.
> >

> At powerup, fans are on, power is getting to both hard drives, dvd, and
> cdrom. Can't tell if floppy drive has power. Monitor powers up but stays
> black most of the time, once in a while will make it to dell splash screen .
> Keyboard and mouse both show signs of life, but nothing else.
>     Indicator lights on back say that the bios, memory, pci/isa bus, and
> video card all failed.
>
> >SNIP-
> > and after a month of "rest" the dells were supplied with whatever trash
> disks
> > hardware testing happened to have and they recognized them.  Even the
> third
> > Dell from a different user which died in exactly the same way--no
> recognition
> > of hard drive was OK after a month off and with a different hdd.  How that
> > happened is that I took the three back to purchasing and the agent there
> > wanted more detail on what was wrong and sent them to hardware testing
> after
> > a month.
>
> That's strange, noticed something similar the first time I had this problem,
> system would boot up after letting it sit powered down for a full day or
> two, but would soon go into a self rebooting loop and eventually not boot.
> I'm afraid I'm not patient enough to try waiting a month though. lol
>
> > SO you may have that problem...  If you have another computer what happens
> if
> > you swap hard drives between the two?
> >

> Hard drives are fine, checked that, they are simply not even being accessed
> at power up.
>
> > Civileme
> > QA Team

> [...]
Ummm, I think that is a straw.  It is likely a BIOS bug...  Try disconnecting
everything but floppy and then downloading the most recent BIOS from DELL and seeing
if you can flash it, assuming you have access to a computer to do those things (That's
a use [finally] for internet cafes besides good coffee).
The Dells we had would _never_ recognize the original drives again, and we were using
Optiplex GX-110, which is supposed to be one of their better products.

We do have to remember that Dell is under the same stress as the others for
cost-sensitivity and therefore is forced to cut corners to stay alive.  I know the
floppies on those models are so cheap, they cannot even report the size of mounted
media.

Civileme