tester wrote:

> On Fri, 2001-12-21 at 10:40, ai4a wrote:
> >
> >  If I enter the alias command, it shows I have an alias 'ls --color=auto
> >  -F'.  Where is this alias defined? I have looked in /home/~/.bashrc &
> >  /root/.bashrc and I do not see it there.
> >
> >  I am running Linux MD 7.2.
> >
> >  Tks Charles
> >

> > ------------=_1008963555-11608-964
> > Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
>
> Try this:
>
> Open a terminal
>
> su to root
>
> # rgrep -r -i -l "alias" /etc
>
> Then tell us all what you find.
>
> Civileme
>
> I would run this command in 7.2 except the disk on my 7.2 test machine
> failed and I have some work to do to restore things.
>
> In 8.1 it is /etc/profile.d/alias.sh which is sourced out of anouther
> file.

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Hi Civileme,
When I run the above command I get about a screen & half of file
names!!!  Do you want the list of filenames??? I ran 'grep -r -i -l "ls
--color" and found 2 files: /etc/profile.d/color_ls.csh &
/etc/profile.d/color_sh. The contents of these files are:
/etc/profile.d/color_ls.csh:
  eval 'dircolor -c /etc/DIR_COLORS'
  alias " ls --color=auto -F"

/etc/profile.d/color_ls.sh:
  #! /bin/bash
  eval 'dircolors --sh /etc/DIR_COLORS
  if [ $term = "emacs" }:then
     alias ls='ls -N -F'
  else
     alias ls="ls --color=auto -F"
  fi

"ls --color" is not in /etc/profile/alias.sh, nor is it in /etc/profile,
nor in /etc/bashrc.

Tks for the help
Charles