Mandrake Control Centre>Boot>BootConfig

Check the box to Launch X window on start
Check No autologin

It will then boot into the graphical logon

BTW:Logging in as root is discouraged. That is why the background is that
sickly red colour, and there are no icons in the tool bar, and it is also why
a little window pops up saying "This is not a good idea"  :-)

If anything  needs root priviliges.   You may execute it as a root window
inside your normal user account.

derek