On Mon, 2001-12-24 at 06:31, Doug Lerner wrote:

> Wow! It worked!
>
> After getting this piece of critical advice from you Civileme, the
> installer worked just fine! It is true that in under 30 minutes you can
> install a working system.
>
> Really great points:
>
> * Mandrake Linux found with no fuss at all my sort of non-standard USB
> ethernet connection. Internet connectivity, which is usually a hassle,
> was no trouble at all.
>
> * Even my Japanese keyboard's mapping (usually another hassle) was fine
> right from the start.
>
> * Same with the network time synchronization.
>
> So I have to say after using it for 10 minutes I am pleased.
>
> The KDE initialization dialog has a problem though. Apparently Mandrake
> Linux would like to collect info from people, but the keyboard does not
> seem to work in any of those initialization forms. I just had to cancel
> out of them. After that the keyboard worked.
>
> I don't know why it doesn't work on the older Mint machine (other email I
> posted).
>
> Thanks again everybody for all your suggestions and help!
>
> Doug Lerner, Tokyo
>
> p.s. Now on to figure out how to use Japanese on the system...
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monday, December 24, 2001):
>
> >On Mon, 2001-12-24 at 04:35, Doug Lerner wrote:
> >> The spec sheet for the HP Pavilion 2000 says the video is an "integrated
> >> graphic controller", so I guess that is something on board.
> >>
> >> When does the "initializing ram disk" process take place?
> >>
> >> Unfortunately a different CD reader is not an option. I don't think it
> >> will boot, for example, from an external USB CD-RW.
> >>
> >> doug
> >>

> >OK
> >
> >I have seen something like this before with the eboxit.  ZTry this:
> >
> >F1 at splash screen
> >
> >linux mem=53M
> >
> >at the input prompt, or if you have 128M of memory then
> >
> >linux mem=117M
> >
> >It appears that this has shared video memory and ther BIOS may be handing
> >the linux kernel a bad memory map so that the screen writing is
> >overwriting the kernel stack.
> >
> >Civileme
> >

> >Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
> >Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
>

> ------------=_1009207889-11608-1413
> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
Thanks for your persistence....

I am happy to hear that it is working....  I will pass the hardware issue on to
hardware testing and tech support
Most likely the Mandrake first time wizard is not enabled for a japanese keyboard,
which is something someone here will want to correct.
Civileme
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
QA team