You are right about why it won't partition; it has lots of files at the end
of the disk, according to the defrag detail. I remembered that Norton speed
disk orders things differently, so I tried that. That organized the disk so
that thousands of red flagged clusters are now at the end of the disk. And a
subsequent defrag won't touch them. So I suppose I am into something like you
are talking about below. I am not competent enough to do the whole shooting
match you suggest, so I will evaluate other options. If I get pissed enough,
I'll just wipe the disk clean and put windows where it belongs.
If any other idea comes to mind, or if anyone else has had any luck doing
this in a more simplified way, I would appreciate knowing about it.
Thanks.