On Wednesday 26 December 2001 04:51 pm, you wrote:
> I completely agree on the Desktop issue, they should really begin
> advertising towards a lower common denominator. The Geeks and Gurus out
> there already know what the options are, and know that Mandrake is up
> there w/ the best. If they would start bundleing Star Office or Open
> Office as default on the 2nd CD instead of another popular office sweet
> (COUGH! KoFFICE COUGH!)things would be much better.

        Right.  It was purely by chance that I found ManLin8.1PwP.  The only probs I
had with installation were due to flaky hardware (bad settings, rather old
bios, me trying to "fix" things that weren't actually broken thinking they
would take care of my problems, such like that) and resetting when I insisted
on locking the computer by doing the same silly things over and over.  The
average user probbably wouldn't have any trouble as long as they did the
"expert" installation and took their time to read everything.

        My version came with StarOffice (only 5.2, but it's a start) and Koffice.
What is OpenOffice?  I've heard about it but really haven't had time to
check.  A friend of mine in the UK (Paul Woodward) downloaded StarOffice 6.0
for me (I only have 28.8 dialup in a "real" modem) and I think sent me the CD
of it.  I heard 6.0 is a totally different beast (in a good way).

> Guess what... time to recompile the NVIDIA_kernel driver.
>
> The steps are pretty simple.
> rpm -e --nodeps the NVIDIA_kernel.

        I don't think I have the nvidia_kernel installed yet.  This is a FRESH
install of ManLin8.1.  I did search for & find an uninstalled package of
nVidia driver but it is OLD, 1012 or something like that.  It remains
uninstalled.

> Download the NVIDIA_kernel-xxx.src.rpm
> Download the System Kernel you want to use, AND it's source.
> Install the System Kernel AND its source.

        Err, you mean the kernel AND the GLX?

> rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-xxx.src.rpm
> goto /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i686 and install the new NVIDIA_kernel-xxx.rpm

        Confuzed.

> All should be good from there, however you might want to update both
> your NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX to newer versions as well, as 1512 is
> 2 (?) versions old?

        No, I had 1541 on a previous install.  I've had to reinstall at least 15
times (more like 20) and those drivers are long gone.  I haven't reinstalled
ANY of them yet (because I lost the concise step-by-step directions and I'm
tired of reinstalling because I got a dot where I meant to have a dash which
was actually an underscore).  I WANT to install 2314 b/c it seems to have
been out for a while.  I could probbably go with 2313 and never know the
difference, and I suppose I could get by with 1541 (I only have a TNT so I am
not all that clear if the newer versions have any more features for me than
the older ones.  But I assume they might have bugfixes).

        Wes Gregg
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Registered Linux User # 252649 and more confused every second!