On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 06:33:33PM -0500, Jon Doe wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 23:24:04 +0000
> Robin Ballantine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> grumbled this:
>
> > This isn't a question or request, just a small offering that someone might
> > find useful. It's a couple of entries for your .bashrc files that will give
> > you coloured prompts that bightens things up a bit and helps to keep track of
> > where you are.
> > <snip>
>
> Awesome, how do I find out what each of these components are and what I can change
>them to? I looked at the bash howto and was lost allmost immediantly.
>  <snip>

Oh, oh, I know this one! pick me! I ran across a link to this awhile
ago and have used a cyan colored prompt with the time and working
directory for a few months now. The link to the specific section of
the bash prompt HOW-TO is:

http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/x343.html

This explains the codes for each color to put in your bashrc. This is
what I use:

PS1="\[\033[0;36m\][\u time: \t \w]\\$\[\033[0m\] "

This gives me a prompt like:

[mark time: 11:12:30 ~] $

I hope this helps.

--Mark