On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 13:45:16 -0500
daRcmaTTeR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:

> On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:31:25 -0600
> Michael Viron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:
>
> > Andrei,
> >
> > Edit ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile (or ~/.bash_profile) -- I can't remember which
> > one the PATH variable itself is found in.
> >
> > Michael
> >

> You could also enter this command in a terminal.
>
>       PATH=$PATH:/some/path/to/be/added
>
> example:
>
>       PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

you know...now that we're on the subject i'm a little unclear as to just how this
"PATH" thing works. for a bit I couldn't remember how I could get to the screen
exactly "what" my path was until I typed this in a terminal:

        which path

this is what was returned:

        [mdw1982@mdw1982 mdw1982]$ which path
        which: no path in
(/usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/home
/mdw1982/bin)

what "I" don't understand is just how this all works. I've always brought "things"
into my path by issuing the statement above since using

        export PATH=$PATH:/some/path/statement

pnly enters the path statement temporarily whereas the former enters the path
permenantly.

can some shed a little more light on this? this has really got my curiosity peaked.

--
daRcmaTTeR
If at first you don't succeed do what your wife told you to do

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.1
  1:05pm  up 14 days,  4:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.77, 0.81, 0.65