yeah, My opinion is pretty similiar..

I was rather fond of Redhats update tool, and mandrake 7.2's, it was faster
and while it had its flaws, was simplier and cleaner and faster then 8.1's
versions. (actually, mandrake should make a webmin module or similiar for
both rpmdrake and MandrakeUpdate, it would make remote updates much better,
it would probably be faster, and it would very likely be easy since the
framework is already there. It would also remove the overhead of all the GUI
crap..

I would have prefered that mandrake had kept that as its base and extended
upon it rather then start from scratch as they did.

now we have a whole new prog to debug, and its got its own set of unique
problems.

the old KISS standard went out the window with the 8.1 version... its
getting bigger, slower and that in itself is introducing more problems that
its fixing.

All you really need is a patched 7.2 version, and when it gets kernel
anything in it, and the kernel is selected, it pops up a second application
dedicated to just that, installing the kernel.

lets look at an example shall we?  Postfix is as good as any.

Postfix is broken into many parts, all working together. and it is faster,
more secure (each part only has the permissions to do what it needs to and
no more.) its faster because only the bit that needs to be running is
running. as a result it uses less memory and CPU and is faster to boot..

Thats what mandrake need to do, break some of thier bigger apps up into
smaller bits working together...

and for gots sake simplify the method that rpmdrake/MandrakeUpdate
categorises the available packages and sources.

personally I wish the 7.2 version worked on 8.1, I'd be there in a shot.
(even faster if it was the Redhat version.)

Mandrake is great, but its not perfect yet, I'm hoping they don't start
taking a leaf out of Microshafts book.

rgds

Frank