On Wednesday 02 January 2002 03:54 pm, you wrote:
> Marcia wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have been having a long struggle getting my ethernet, sound, and
> > printing all working at the same time. I have studied all relevant files,
> > how-to's, and asked many questions but so far no answer that has worked.
> > I do have a clue now. My sound module is not loaded when I start up. It
> > worked fine in 7, 7.2 and 8 but now in 8.1 it only works when I put sb
> > into the /etc/modules file. After I do that then my printer does not
> > work. My printer and ethernet work just fine without sound but the
> > printer and sound will not work together so far. This tells me there must
> > be a conflict somewhere however I cannot tell where it is. I have checked
> > the /proc/ioports, interrupts, and dma files as well as all others that
> > could be relevant yet cannot find the conflict. This has been so
> > baffling. I have the ESS1868 sound card which works well with the sb
> > sound module. My printer is a brand new HP Deskject 940c which works
> > great as long as I do not install the sound. The same thing was happening
> > with my old Epson Stylus Color before I got this new one. Does anyone
> > have any ideas here? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Marcia

> > Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
>
> Get into your BIOS
>

> find Power Management
>
> where it says ACPI-aware OS, make sure it is set to "NO"
>
> It sounds like ACPI is stacking all your interrupts in one place.
>
> Civileme
Dear Civileme,
I went into my Phoenix Award Bios , went to Power Mgmt. and could not find
anything that said ACPI-aware OS. The selections were -
Power Mgmt.:Disable
PM Control by APM:yes
Video Off Method V/H SYNC-Blank
Modem Use Irq:3
Suspend Mode:Disable
Hdd Power Drive:Disable
The above was on the left side and on the right was a listing of all of the
IRQ's and their assignment numbers which I did not send to you yet since
there were so many. If ACPI is stacking all of my interrupts in one place is
there another way to fix this? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Marcia