On Wednesday 02 January 2002 05:59 pm, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:40:51 -0500
>
> Marcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have been having a long struggle getting my ethernet, sound, and
> > printing all working at the same time. I have studied all relevant files,
> > how-to's, and asked many questions but so far no answer that has worked.
> > I do have a clue now. My sound module is not loaded when I start up. It
> > worked fine in 7, 7.2 and 8 but now in 8.1 it only works when I put sb
> > into the /etc/modules file. After I do that then my printer does not
> > work. My printer and ethernet work just fine without sound but the
> > printer and sound will not work together so far. This tells me there must
> > be a conflict somewhere however I cannot tell where it is. I have checked
> > the /proc/ioports, interrupts, and dma files as well as all others that
> > could be relevant yet cannot find the conflict. This has been so
> > baffling. I have the ESS1868 sound card which works well with the sb
> > sound module. My printer is a brand new HP Deskject 940c which works
> > great as long as I do not install the sound. The same thing was happening
> > with my old Epson Stylus Color before I got this new one. Does anyone
> > have any ideas here? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Marcia
>
> From the kernel-source-2.4.8-26mdk package, file
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.8/alsa-driver-0.5.11/INSTALL :
>
>   Module snd-card-es18xx.o
>   ------------------------
>
>     Module for ESS AudioDrive ES-18xx soundcards.
>
> So the ALSA drivers may be an alternative. Good luck :)
>
> Btw, does your card show up with 'cat /proc/isapnp' ?
>
>     -Frans

Dear Frans,

I may try this although I do not think the driver is the problem. Yes, my
soundcard does show up in /proc/isapnp. I also discovered that when I place
sb in /etc/modules I get sound but my zip drive will not open and I get no
printing. When I take sb out then zip works and my printing works again.
Civileme thinks it is a bios problem and I am waiting upon some more help
from him about this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sincerely,

Marcia