I think that kernel update is only to fix the symlink flaw found in linux
recently..

its not likely to be a target, but some times it pays to be sure.

don't use MandrakeUpdate to get the kernel, use a browser to go to the
address that MandrakeUpdate is using (in "define sources") and download the
kernel rpm by itself that way.. then go to the directory that you saved it
in and type:
rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.8xxxxxxxx.i586.rpm (swapping the xxxxx for whatever the
kernel name is) and hit enter.

that will install the kernel along side the old one, so that if the install
doesn't work, you have not hosed your old kernel and can still boot from
that.. thats the only think wrong with using the 8.1 update to load your
kernel.. if it doesnt' update perfectly, it will upgrade your current
kernel, with a dud one, and you won't be able to boot anymore.
Thats why you load it manually..

if you restart and select the new kernel from the lilo or grub menu and it
works.. then great, uninstall the old kernel( I always leave it myself, just
in case) or just move the new kernel to the top of the list
(/boot/grub/menu.lst) or /etc/lilo.conf and it will then boot the new kernel
by default.

all you need is the kernel .i586 rpm, in your case
kernel-2.4.8-31.2mdk.i586.rpm  don't worry about the others, they are either
source packages, alternative 2.2 kernel series or the headers, docs and
stuff, they are not needed to get your system booting the new kernel.

rgds

Frank