On 03 Jan 2002 16:03:23 -0500
Noah Swint <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> grumbled this:

> http://www.clearwater.com.au/pcm-9574/index.php?page=journal.html
>

>  The kernel does seem to have driver support for the ESS1989 audio chip
> set, via the maestro3 module. The source code identifies it as "ESS
> Maestro3/Allegro driver for Linux 2.4.x by Zach Brown".

I don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me. I had a computer with the
ESS1989, I used sndconfig and chose the last ESS? on the list. Can't remember if it
was 1869 or 1698 or something like that. I had to adjust the DMA or whatever it is to
1 and either 3 or 5 and then it would work. Sorry I can't remember exactly but I no
longer have the PC to test and see what it was.
Hope this helps some.