Ed,

I understand the /etc/hosts file. But I thought "named" was the guy that
shared the info in /etc/hosts with client machines making dns requests. Do
i have it wrong?

Second, what is resolv.conf all about? I noticed with surprise that I have
one with the correct ISP DNS servers already in /etc. I didn't put it
there, so some configurator I ran today must have done so.

Third, where is the hosts/resolv/dns ordering done? I remember seeing
something like that in smb.conf.

The question remains: how (by what service) does the linux box resolve dns
requests for the other machines on the LAN?

julian.