Gerald,

At 07:40 AM 1/4/02 -0500, you wrote:
> > So what you're saying is that the hosts file is used only by the local
> > machine, right?
>Correct!
> > And is NOT used by bind, right?
>Correct!

Oh dear ...

>Usually the resolv.conf on Linux would have a line
>order hosts bind.
>Which means look at hosts then use bind.

Yes but only for himself, not used to give DNS resolution to others on the
LAN. What good is that??? My Linux box is supposed to be a server!

> > So who is it that will resolve IPs for machine on the LAN? Where would
>bind
> > get the info from to resolve local requests ? It has to go in a static
>file
> > somewhere.
>
>If the ip / fqdn is not in the hosts file, the system uses the nameserver
>entries

But even if the fqdn IS in the hosts file, it wont serve it to the local
LAN if hosts isn't used in DNS resolution!

There's no point in a local machine going up to my ISP's nameserver to find
name/address mappings for another machine on my computer is there? DNS for
the local LAN has to be handled by a NS that has authority for my LAN. Who
else could that be than my local Linux server running DNS?

Here's my line-up:

My fixed IP is 209.173.210.166, and it has a real name of
julianop.swdata.com.  I'm making julianop.swdata.com a subdomain, and will,
when I get this all sorted out, run FTP, HTPP, SMTP, and POP3 servers. But
I'm not there yet ...

I have four machines:
anoka.julianop.swdata.com (linux server at 10.0.0.2, DNS set to
206.196.47.10 & 20),
sierra.julianop.swdata.com (win98 at 10.0.0.3, DNS to 10.0.0.2),
monsta.julianop.swdata.com (win98 at 10.0.0.5, DNS to 10.0.0.2), and
pongo.julianop.swdata.com (win98 at 10.0.0.5, DNS to 10.0.0.2).

They are on my private lan, behind NAT. No DNS server in the world is going
to answer a DNS request from sierra asking what pongo's IP address is.

Sierra doesn't yet know that pongo is on it's own subnet - it could be off
in Outer Mongolia, so it sends a DNS request to the DNS server it's been
told to ask for IP resolution.

Who fulfills DNS requests for local machines if not anoka? I've been told
that bind doesn't look at /etc/hosts, which brought my world crashing down.
Now what? :-)

Thanks for your patience with me, I'm sure we're nearly at the bottom of this.

julian.
>Gerald

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Julian A. Opificius.