Assuming you told the installer to format the partitions after you
re-assigned the names, it should have done just that.  If what you were
having problems with related to configuration files in your home directory,
then when you logged in, you would have received the same home directory and
configuration files you had before.  What I do before a new install on an
existing installation is rename my old home directories to something else.
That way when I create the users again, they get fresh configuration files.
I then assign rights to the "old" directories and can move anything back that
I want.

Joe