But that's what is weird -- the permissions were set to 755.

I just did a test. I ran the script, and it worked. Then I changed
ownership to root, and it didn't work. I changed it back to mitch, and it
worked.

Before, when I had changed the ownership of the file with chown, I didn't
stop to then modify the permissions. I just went to my windows machine,
loaded the html page in the browser, and clicked on the link to the cgi
file. And it worked. The only change I had made was ownership from root to
the user account mitch.

The file, btw, is in the home directory of mitch. So maybe a file in a
user's home directory *must* have permissions to run from the owner of that
directory. In other words, root can't give permission to run an executable
from a user's home directory?

mitch

                    "Miark"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>            To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    Sent by:                     cc:

                    newbie-owner@linux-ma        Subject:     Re: [newbie] Is CGI set
up ... FIXED
                    ndrake.com

                    01/04/02 06:29 PM

                    Please respond to

                    newbie

It's typical of the Linux filesystem, regardless
of what the file is, or who it belongs to.

It's not a problem that a script is owned by root,
but in order for others to run it, the permission
for "others" must be open. That is, a script
owned by root can't be run by others if it's
700, but it can if it's 755.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Miark