At 04:15 PM 1/7/02 -0800, Andy Davidson wrote:
>I am trying to install 8.1 on a PC (AMD AthlonXP 1700, one IDE drive, one
>DVD drive, one CD-RW drive) and I get to the point where it wants to
>display the packages to install.  At that point, I get the series of cdrom
>errors shown in the included dmesg.  Sometimes it stops after a few tries
>and displays the message "An error occurred. No hdlists found" Other times,
>it just cycles forever as in the attached dmesg.
>
>I have previously installed this version of Mandrake on this machine from
>these CDs, though with a different monitor. Best guess: do I have a bad CD
>or a bad CD drive?  And what can I do about either?

As a couple of people pointed out, it appears that I have a marginal CD-ROM
drive.  Actually the drive used as the CD-ROM drive is actually a DVD drive
(LITE-ON DVD-ROM LTD163) while I also have a CD-RW drive (LITE-ON
LTR16102B).  I "solved" my problem with installing packages by modifying
fstab to make the CD-RW drive the cdrom drive to be used, at /mnt/cdrom.
It reads all the CDs fine.

I have no idea what this will do to cdrecord et al, but I guess I'll find
out. :-)

Many thanks for the help.

andy