> On Tuesday 08 January 2002 11:07, you wrote:
> > I recently upgraded from 7.2 to 8.1 and am in the process of hunting down
> > the inevitable bugs that usually result from upgrades.  I must say,
> > however, this version update was the smoothest I've ever experienced.
> > Good job, Mandrake!
> >
> > I'm running KDE 2.2 as the environment on an Asus motherboard I built
> > with an Athlon 650 CPU, 128 meg., two HDrives, one floppy, and one CD.
> >
> > Neither KDE's CD Player nor Grip will open and play a music CD.  Both are
> > unable to open the cd device (as a user or as root).  Data CDs read fine
> > from Konqueror.  Could this be a problem with "supermount"?  That feature
> > has not been present in my earlier installations of Mandrake (and Red
> > Hat).
> >
> > The following two lines appeared in my /etc/fstab after the 8.1
> > installation:
> > /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=iso9660 0 0
> > /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=vfat 0 0
> >
> > The supermount feature has been a bit unpredictable in mounting and
> > unmounting the CD, but I'm learning the quirks and how to live with it.
> > Could the music CD inability have something to do with the device
> > definition of fs=iso9660 in the fstab file?  Has anybody got this all
> > figured out?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Mike
>
> I have been having the same trouble with an update from 8.0 to 8.1, I have
> not found an answer yet, but at least you are not alone.
If you are trying to mount the CD and then play it, you don't do that with an
audio CD. Just put the CD in and close the tray and then select the player of
your choice. If you use CD Player then the play list should load
automatically. If you use ALSA or XMMs  you have to make selections to get it
to go.  But the point is that audio cds don't need a mount command. HTH
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842