Mandrake Newbie wrote:

> Hello everybody!  =)
>
> I'm currently using Mandrake 8.1 on Asus CUVR4X-C motherboard, Intel Pentium III 800
>Mhz, 384 MB SDRAM and 20 GB Seagate Barraccuda 7200 RPM hard disk drive.
>
> My problem started when I successfully installed kernel-2.4.16.9mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>in my Mandrake 8.1 system.  As most (if not all) of you know, Mandrake 8.1 has a
>default kernel version of 2.4.8.  Basically, I did upgrade my default kernel.  I
>installed my new kernel version using the command of:
>
> # rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.16.9mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>
> Also, my partitions and filesystems are:
>
> /boot - ext2fs
> /usr  - XFS
> /home - XFS
> /opt  - XFS
> /var  - XFS
> swap
> /     - ext2fs
>
> ...and I also add lines in my LILO for my new kernel to boot-up.
>
> Actually, I am encountering error messages during shutting down my system.  Below
>are the error messages that are displayed during shutdown:
>
> /etc/rc0.d/S01halt:  line -76: 5401  segmentation fault  $*
>
> What does the error messages mean?  How will I get over it?
>
> So far, I haven't encountered any problems yet using my new kernel 2.4.16.9
>installed except for the error messages during shutting down.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> __________________________________
> www.edsamail.com

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

I see nothing obvious in the halt script except the possibility that you
somehow have Aurora called in a non-fb kernel.  Everything else there
would be straightforward.  The other possibility would be unmounting a
non-existent device (a device file under the old kernel that is not
setup under the new, and obviously one you do not use, but even that
does not explain a segfault.  More likely, something is out of
synchronization or your initrd.img points to the wrong set of modules
(which should cause considerably more trouble than this).

Civileme