On Friday 11 January 2002 09:37 pm, Andre Dubuc wrote:
> I'm considering an USB hardware modem [AOpen FM56-RU] to replace my AOpen
> FM56-ITU/2 hardware ISA modem. I'd like to free up the ISA slot for an old
> scanner.
>
> I've checked LM Hardware database using my ISA modem and it declares my
> present moidm unsupported! Do any usb modems function with LM8 or 8.1?
> If not, could you recommend a good external modem?
>
> Tia,
> Andre

Andre:

I'm not sure how the economics work out, but what about an old fashioned
serial port external modem? NO drivers, NO web searches, NO downloads, NO
hassle -- just a simple serial cable, and that's all that there is. Yes, you
do have to find a plug for the power wart and a place to set the box, but
those are simple problems. In return, you get lights -- sometimes
useful for problem solving, and always entertaining during long
downloads. And it's very simple to move it from one box to another. Main
point, though: It simply works. Efficiently and quietly. And, if you use a
good protection device (lightning will kill modems almost instantly), it will
last for a long time.

A confession: A family emergency arose last month that required providing my
wife with a PC with dialup access -- NOW!! The PC was no problem, as I just
happened to have an old box with Mandrake 8.0 installed. However, it didn't
have a modem. So I went to the local Staples, and the only thing that I found
that I was certain would work was a real honest-to-God genuine authentic bona
fide serial modem. Bought it, brought it home, plugged it in, Mandrake
recognized it, and it worked just as advertised. The problem was solved, and
I continue to eat well. IMHO, this beats the hell out of mucking about with
web searches, drivers, patches, config files and all of that other stuff.

internal.

Good luck,
Carroll