[PASTE]

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 02:31:26PM +0800, Anuerin G. Diaz wrote:

> i just posted a similar question in the mandrake mailing list. my old
> password is something like 'blacks00t'. even if i changed it to
> 'blacks00t17' and the tokens were updated successfully, the old
> password is still accepted.

You're seeing the eight-character password limit for systems that don't
use MD5 password hashing.  Try the password 'blacks00' even.  My guess
is it will still work.  To get around it, convert your passwords to use
MD5 hashing instead of the old DES hashing.  Under Red Hat 7, authconfig
will set this up, but then you'll need to reset EVERYONE's passwords,
don't forget...

[/PASTE]

i got this answer from the local user group. the poster (Rafael R. Sevilla
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ) is correct on the 8 character limit. so how do i
convert my LM8.1 to MD5 hashing?

ciao!

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back."

Anuerin G. Diaz
Design Engineer
Millennium Software, Incorporated
2305 B West Tower, Philippines Stocks Exchange Center,
Exchange Road, Ortigas Center, Pasig City

Tel# 638-3070 loc. 72
Fax# 638-3079