ngn wrote:

> Hi folks!! I have a problem that I cannot resolve yet
>
> In my mandrake 8.1 box I haven't experienced any problem with burning Data
> cd's from my HD yet...Moreover, the results of this are great!!! The time
> for the cd burning is very average!!!
>
> However, the problem is the following: I have a HP cd-wr 9300 and a Creative
> Infra 52X cd-reader.
> All the front-ends of cd burning do not recognize my Creative cd-reader so I
> canīt make on-the-fly burnings!!!!
>
> Although I tried I can't get the cd-reader detected by those front-ends
> (Gnomecombust, Eroaster, Gtoaster, etc, etc)
>
> Any suggestions will be very helpful to me!!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Nicolas Gomez
> Montevideo, URUGUAY
> ICQ# 45144976

Well Nicolas, this issue comes up every now end then here on the list,
so try - (no offence ;-)) - to search the mail-archive for i.e.
"CD-burning" or something similar. Now, the short answer is as follows :

Suppose your CD-reader (Creative Infra) is the master on your second
IDE-bus and your CD-burner (HP 9300) is the slave on the same IDE-bus
(just examples !), then they are listed by linux as hdc and hdd
respectively. That means, that so far the kernel accepts them as
IDE-drives (in windows-speak something like D: and E:). Now, to use them
for burning-purposes, they have to behave like SCSI-drives. Most
linux-front-ends for burning does that automatically, but only for
dedicated burners. That's why your front-end doesn't see your CD-reader.
To correct this you have to make the kernel "think" that your
IDE-CD-drives are SCSI-ones. This is easily accomplished :

1. open a terminal and become "root" (type "su" and, when prompted, type
your root-password)
2. open a text-editor of your choice (I prefer "Midnight Commander" -
type : mc)
3. go to /etc/lilo.conf and hit F4 to edit that file.
4. here you must make an "append"-statement (a boot-parameter to linux),
like this :
   image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append=" hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi devfs=mount "
        vga=791
        read-only

   where hdc is my CD-reader and hdd is my CD-burner (eventually, put in
your own configuration).
5. hit F2 to save this file.
6. hit F10 to exit "Midnight Commander"
7. still in your terminal-window as root, type : lilo (and watch the
messages).
8. type "exit" twice.
9. reboot, and you are done ! - (Eventually, you can now check the file
"/etc/fstab")

Enjoy !

Kaj Haulrich