Under /proc there are all sorts of informational files.  You can few them
opening a terminal or shell and type cd /proc and then you can issue, for
example, cat dma              to see what dma channels are in use.  cat
ioports will tell you what ports are used by what devices and cat interrupts
will tell you the same for IRQs.

There should also be one there call isapnp.  It's longer, and you may want to
use less instead of cat to view it.  Mine has my soundblaster card listed
with the settings in use at the top (followed by a lot of alternate settings
that aren't used).  What is useful about it is that it should show you all of
the optional IRQs, DMA and ioports that can be used by your card.  That way
if one of them are in conflict, you know what you can change.

I'm not sure the printer port uses a dma channel, so that may not be the
problem.  It still sounds like some kind of IRQ problem.  When you were in
your CMOS, did you notice if the PNP settings were set for auto or manual
(where you could reserve specific IRQs).  If manual, there might not be an
available IRQ to use without sharing, so you might try auto and see.

Joe