On Tuesday 22 January 2002 01:22, you wrote:
> Hello everyone!  =)
>
> I need your help.  I don't know how to connect to the Internet using my
> dial-up connection.  I am using Speed Com+ 56K external modem (serial)
> running on Mandrake 8.1.  I hope you can give me a HOW-TO on how to connect
> my dial-up to the Internet.

You have 2 choices if you use dialup.  If you are using Gnome, I recommend
wvdial.  If you use KDE, go to the K menu, Networking, Remote Access and open
the "Internet Dialer".  Go to the Setup tab on the bottom, then "New" and
"Dailog Setup" and give your connection a name.  Type in the connection phone
number, then add--you can add a whole string of #'s, one at a time.  Open the
"IP" tab and check the box for "Dynamic IP Address".  Open the "Gateway" tab
and check "Default Gateway", unless your ISP uses a specific address for a
gateway, then you will check the Static Gateway and fill in the address.
Check the box "Assign the Default Route to this Gateway".
Open the "DNS" tab, and type in your ISP's domain name (mine is "gorge.net").
 Click the "manual" box, and type in your ISP's primary domain address,
(should be something like 200.123.132) and click "Add".  Do it again for your
ISP's secondary DNS server address.  Click "OK".

Open the "Device" tab.  It will probably say "/dev/modem"  This is usually
o.k., but not always.  Open the "Modem" tab and click the "Query Modem"
button.  If  the system finds the modem, you will get a "Modem Query Results"
box within a few seconds, and you're all setup.
If the system doesn't find your modem, go back to the "Device" tab and try
the dropdown arrow, choosing "/dev/ttyS0", /dev/ttyS1, /dev/ttyS2, etc., in
succession, going to the "Modem" tab and querying the modem with each
selection.  If that all fails to work, get back to the list.

e.