Hi list,

Being new, and currently enjoying an installation that's up and running (even if it
did need a few tweaks here and there) I came across an article about 'Armoring Linux'.
It was all about how default installations leave a lot of unneeded services running
and provide access for 'undesirables' to wreak havoc if they so choose. This article
has kinda scared the bejeepers out of me, as I could've sworn I just said yes to most
of the default questions during (the most recent) install.
The article referenced a lot to do with the Redhat distro, and I found myself at a
loss on some of the more technical points and instructions about what to do.
So, here's my question. Where in LM 8.1 do I start to find out what services are
running? I am not using my Linux box as a server or anything 'technically heavy', just
home use with email and browsing, MP3 playing etc...
Will I need to setup a firewall? And of course, how do I start to shut off the
unneeded services?
Mick (nervously awaiting!)