Here's more than you probably want to know (and more than I understand)
on this issue - from a linux distribution site (gentoo), AMD and a
kernel developer.

Bottom line: Seems like a problem. There is a fix. The fix may result in
a performance hit (and I have an Athlon XP 1700!). The kernel folks are
working on it!

Terry Smith
Cape Cod USA

(Read them in the order pasted in).