I have been going around in circles trying to install a LJ 1200 on my mandrake 8.1 system. When I go to control center > printer >configure
I set cups to start automatically on boot
add printer
local printer
name printer 'printer"
select HP Laserjet 1200

the drop down menu vanishes, so I then click on DONE

to check that installation was correct, I go to HP LaserJet Control Panel
that generates an error:
Unable to parse "/etc/printcap" file - so I sent copy of that file to kde.org as requested

What can I do to set this up and get it to work.
Most of the mandrake documentation assumes their are no bugs and I can't figure out how to get around them or to fix it.