On Tuesday 29 January 2002 13:20, Paul Kraus wrote:
> I have the same problem. cp <filename> /mnt/floppy .
>I then cd
> /mnt/floppy, ls and my file is listed as well as the rest of the
> contents of the drive. I then remove the disk put it in my windows pc
> and dir a dir on it and all the original files are there but the new one
> is not. It is a windows formatted floppy. Now if I mount /mnt/floppy I
> get an error saying that the drive is already mounted.

One of the ways Linux is faster than Windows is in the way it uses memory as
disc cache.  Linux will load all the files in use into unused memory. So when
you copy a file to your floppy, linux is in fact writing it to cache memory.
When you list the contents of the floppy it is in fact listing the contents
of the cache.  The physical floppy does not get written until you unmount the
disc, or Linux needs to free up the memory for some other purpose. So when
you just pop the disc out, it has not yet been written and so you do not see
the file on your windows computer.

This is also the reason why Unix systems do not like sudden power downs. The
discs may be out of 'sync' and you get problems next time you boot. For that
reason you should nowdays be using one of the Journalling file systems such
as Ext3, XFS, or ReiserFS.

Also how do you
> unmount? I try the unmount command which I read about in a book and I
> get a bash error. No command found. Thanks.

Well you have to use the correct command.... The command to unmount is
umount

Not very intuitive, but thats how it is.
Personally I prefer to use kwikdisk to mount/unmount It saves having to
remember all this stuff.

derek