hi,

  i have inserted wherever appropriate what i have learned as a 7 month newbie. please
take it only as points to do some more research on as i am not entirely sure in their
validity (but for me they are the truth unless stated otherwise by more experienced
users *grin*)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 04:16:04 +1300
Walter Logeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> revealed these words to me:

> HI,

<snip>

> Thanks for the info received on what to do.  I immediatly found that i had been
> keeping copies of the CDs I'd been burning, and fixed that, which took care of
> the immediate problem.
>

> Anuerin G. Diaz wrote:
> > seems like the allocated space for the / partition was too
> > small. this happened to me when i allocated just 100MB to that
> > partition and /tmp was heavily used.
>
> I think it may be big enough if i maintain it well.  And am using this oportunbity
>to learn
> do this. Question:  Coming from a Windows env. I am familiar with easily knowing
>which file is on
> which storage device.  I understand that it is nice to have a virtual environment -
>to hell with
> knowing what devices run it, however as the administrator i need to be able to know
>what is
> on each device.  How can i check that?

check the mountpoints. if you have the tree package installed, use it to generate a
somewhat ASCII-graphical breakdown of your partitions (tree / , tree /home, tree /usr,
etc). type mount (no additional parameters) and all directories under root ( those
with names coming after /) which are neither mounted by the fstab (/tmp for example)
nor links to other subdirectories (/bin) are probably under the root partition. if you
dont have the tree command, du -ah will do as well. remember to output the contents of
du and tree to a file so you could peruse it on your whim. last option is to go to
konqueror (or any file manager with tree view capabilities).

> > first thing to do is to
> > make sure that no unnecessary files are hogging the space in
> > /tmp.
>
> I have posted of the contents tof /temp below, using $ ls -al what might
> I need to explore further there?
>
> > there are tools out there but i have no experience using them.
> > the route i always take is to re-install Mandrake, use expert
> > install (its really easy if you pay attention and read what's
> > in there), and pay extra attention when it comes to the part
> > that you partition your hard disk.
>
> Hmm, this does seem complex as I did not set up my own machine.  I am tempted to
>give it a go
> For learning on another machine, not this one which I work on!

its easy. my first try was pretty good. i only re-installed because i didnt know that
/usr should be large enough since its the windows equivalent of the Program Files
directory (installations go here).

> ~~~
>
> On Monday 28 January 2002 12:18 pm, Erylon wrote:

<snip>

> Thanks for that.  will do some pruning.  I will also explore the /etc/logrotate.conf
> I can see that as the user i have authority to delete some files but not others.  I
>can
> go into root and do it all but is that wise?  Some of the files have permission for
>an
> admin group?  Should I as root give myself admin authority?  This is
> getting a bit off topic but I d be interested in a discussion on how to work with
>the
> root / user potential of Linux.  Perhaps there is a good article on it somewhere?

<snip>

rule of thumb. root user is for administration only and for doing things when you are
sure you know absolutely what you are doing. if the file has other permissions, then
you should not be mucking with it unless you need to.  root is too powerful to be used
daily. i think there was a chapter on the Mandrake Manual and in the
mandrakeuser.org/docs about this.

ciao!

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back."

Anuerin G. Diaz
Design Engineer
Millennium Software, Incorporated
2305 B West Tower, Philippines Stocks Exchange Center,
Exchange Road, Ortigas Center, Pasig City

Tel# 638-3070 loc. 72
Fax# 638-3079